If a vaccine could prevent cancer would you want it?  Doctors say the human papillomavirus, also known as HPV, is a primary cause of cervical cancer in young women, but it is preventable.
A vaccine for HPV was first recommended for young women and girls in 2006, and since then, the rates for HPV have plummeted, according to a new study.
More vaccination, fewer infections
According to Salena Zanotti, M.D., a women’s health physician at Cleveland Clinic, the drop in HPV infections in the last decade is due to the higher incidence of vaccination.
“We’re very good at managing pre-cervical cancer in our country, which is why we don’t see cervical cancer and hopefully we won’t see those patients anymore because of the vaccine,” said Zanotti.

The study
Researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) looked at HPV rates in the years before women started receiving the vaccine (2003-2006) and then again six years later (2006-2012).
They found a substantial drop in HPV infection among girls ages 14-19 and a smaller, but significant drop in women ages 20-24.
They also tested eight HPV strains that are not covered by the vaccine and found no significant difference in rates during the same time frame, which indicates the effectiveness of the HPV vaccine.
New vaccine
According to Dr. Zanotti, the vaccine is getting more powerful.
While the original vaccine protected against two low-risk and two high-risk strains of HPV, a newer version protects against nine cancer-causing high-risk strains.
“Ideally I think we’re going to get 80 to 85 percent coverage over the 70 percent we were getting with the first one, so that’s been exciting,” said Dr. Zanotti.
The CDC recommends both girls and boys begin receiving the HPV vaccine at age 11.
The vaccine is also recommended for women until age 26 and men until age 21.
Complete results for the study can be found in the journal ‘Pediatrics.’

2 Comments

  1. The past 4 years of my life has been years of torment right from when i was diagnosed with breast cancer (triple negative) stage IV. It was hard for me because i never in my life imagined i would have anything related to cancer. The first two years my oncologist gave me so much hope that i had to undergo chemo and radiation therapy twice and the lymph nodes were still there. It kept reoccurring and i was about to lose it all. I lost weight and i had high blood pressure due to steady thinking. I got the contact of Dr. Roland whom i was told treats cancer naturally with herbal medicine, i never believed but i was dying and to satisfy my curiosity i had to invite him over and he came with his medicine and began to treat me for a month. In three months time i didn't feel any symptoms and i decided to confirm and i went to my oncologist for a test and i tested negative to cancer. I never believed in herbal methods or treatments but now i do because it saved me. You too can contact him for more info on any form of cancer and also about his medicine and treatment process on (dr.rolandoscar@gmail.com) do not die in ignorance and never give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post